I've been working with the mantra 'work smarter not harder' for about a year now. I constantly ask myself, 'how can I simplify this procedure?' in my office, in my studio, in my kitchen. Despite the fact that I still find myself multi-tasking (which I've read is not healthy and if you keep reading I'll share why) I have been able to reduce some of the effort and maintain effectiveness with many tasks. Most importantly the overall stress levels have been reduced and I find myself with bits of found time and I'm less tired overall at weeks end.
In my studio I've been working on some new surface treatments and most recently on faceting pots which will show up in future mugs and bowls in the next month or so. Keeping things simple, letting the forms speak for themselves. Keep an eye out for the Badass Bird Tumblers which are currently works in progress, a collaborative effort with my talented fiance who drew the bird design. At the end of the day if I've gotten clay time, then it was a good day, but when I get time to play in clay AND cook, then it's been a great day.....when I get to share that food with my man then it's been a fantastic day!
Often times when I'm working I'm thinking about what I'll make for dinner, what's in the fridge that I need to use up, what leftovers I can mix in, what flavors I feel like playing with. Last night I came home and knew two things, I wanted rice and I had broccoli I needed to cook. The recipe below was made up on the fly, I've estimated the amount of spices I used so feel free to kick them up (I typically err on the light side) . What I wished I had on hand was avocados and some fresh romaine lettuce for some extra yum and crunch for garnish. The most fun thing about food is making it your own, so I hope you take this recipe and dress it up and share your version in the comments or tag me on instagram when you post your food pic @theveganpotter. Look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Easy Veggie Rice & Roasted Broccoli
when I'm hungry I want a quick dish that keeps me busy while I'm making it so I don't snack before I eat, and I want a dish that cooks up quick! Get ready to multi-task!
1 vidalia onion
1 red pepper
3 stalks celery
2 Tbl Tomato Paste
2 cups veggie broth
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 - 1tsp chipotle (to your spice preference)
1 bunch broccoli
3 cups rice of your choice (I used jasmine)
4 tbl olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. If you're using a rice cooker, set that baby up with your 3 cups of rice and water and turn it on! If you're cooking your rice on the stovetop, follow directions on your rice and get it going so you can move on to step 2.
2. Preheat your oven to 425. Chop the broccoli into small florets and place on a baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tbl of olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place in preheated oven and set your timer for 15 min.
3. Dice the red pepper, onion, scallions and celery and saute in 2 Tbl of olive oil in a large skillet. Toss in all the spices and saute until onions are transluscent, then add the tomato paste and veggie broth and stir and turn to low.
4. Check on your broccoli and turn it over and put it back in for a few more minutes until the florets are slightly singed.
5. When rice is complete, toss it right into the veggie pan and stir until coated with broth and spices.
6. Plate all that deliciousness and gobble it up!