Easy Veggie Rice & Roasted Broccoli
when I'm hungry I want a quick dish that keeps me busy while I'm making it so I don't snack before I eat, and I want a dish that cooks up quick! Get ready to multi-task!
1 vidalia onion
1 red pepper
3 stalks celery
2 Tbl Tomato Paste
2 cups veggie broth
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 - 1tsp chipotle (to your spice preference)
1 bunch broccoli
3 cups rice of your choice (I used jasmine)
4 tbl olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. If you're using a rice cooker, set that baby up with your 3 cups of rice and water and turn it on! If you're cooking your rice on the stovetop, follow directions on your rice and get it going so you can move on to step 2.
2. Preheat your oven to 425. Chop the broccoli into small florets and place on a baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tbl of olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place in preheated oven and set your timer for 15 min.
3. Dice the red pepper, onion, scallions and celery and saute in 2 Tbl of olive oil in a large skillet. Toss in all the spices and saute until onions are transluscent, then add the tomato paste and veggie broth and stir and turn to low.
4. Check on your broccoli and turn it over and put it back in for a few more minutes until the florets are slightly singed.
5. When rice is complete, toss it right into the veggie pan and stir until coated with broth and spices.
6. Plate all that deliciousness and gobble it up!